Sunday, May 1, 2016

Roman Legionary

The first item off the new painting desk is a 200mm Young miniatures bust of a Roman Legionary, this guy has been partly finished for possibly 3 or 4 years, so I thought as I have restricted work space that I would complete as I go, rather than have multiple projects on the desk at any one time.

The figure is quite well sculpted and made from resin, it went together easily with no need for any fillers, as this guy was my first 200mm bust I was a little hesitant to paint his face and especially his eyes, but after looking at a few tutorial videos online I was more confident. I used Vallejo colours and mattisse drying retarder and mediums to get my layered skin tone. I was extremely happy with the final result and now he resides with my 54mm collection in the display cabinet.

9 comments:

Unlucky General said...

Superb young Master. Such a pity it's a complete WASTE OF TIME!

Cyrus said...

Great work Matt, he looks like a real veteran!

Nate said...

That's fantastic mate, absolutely stunning work!

rct75001 said...

Mate you have done a stunning job on him - perhaps the best I have seen of your painting. Your talents are lost on the small stuff :)

Bluewillow said...

Nessa agrees Rich, I am very impressed myself!

Cheers
Matt

Bluewillow said...

Perhaps, but a enjoyable sojourn, and do I really need to paint more 28mm and out in the cuboard whilst I await your efforts to catch up.......need I say more!

Carlo said...

Wonderful work Matty and enjoy the inner city of Sydney mate!

Bluewillow said...

Thanks Cyrus, I wanted the sun worn look, still I feel I have room to grow when I look at some of the other work out there.

Cheers
Matt

Bluewillow said...

Now when you fly in Carlo it is simple to catch up mate

Cheers